It’s Not About What We Do, But Why We Do It
The Opportunity Village Thrift Store has a long-standing reputation of offering quality homegoods, furniture and clothing in the Southern Nevada community.
We can’t do it alone; that’s where you come in!
By making a donation to the Opportunity Village Thrift Store you are helping us to ensure a brighter future for adults with intellectual disabilities. A future that is removed of roadblocks, and full of possibilities. A future where Opportunity Village clients are able to identify a career they are passionate about and achieve their dreams.
To donate exhibit items at the end of NAB Show, please contact:
Malcolm McCollum, Regional Retail Operations Manager
(o) 702.262.1520 (c) 702.300.8409
It’s not what we do, but why we do it that really matters.
Over sixty years ago seven families sought to improve the lives of their children with intellectual disabilities and in doing so Opportunity Village was started as a place for them to receive an education. Through the years Opportunity Village has evolved from a place of learning to providing a multitude of services including vocational training, community employment, day services, advocacy, arts and social recreation. We make it possible for our clients to find new friends, realize future career paths, seek independence and community integration and unleash creative passions. And the Opportunity Village Thrift Store has been a part of it for over 50 years.
In 1962 the Opportunity Village Thrift Store opened its doors. The goal? To use the money earned from retail sales to pay the teachers employed by Opportunity Village.
Flash forward to today, the Opportunity Village Thrift Store now serves as an Employment Training Center where our clients can prepare for a career in retail. The store currently employs 25 clients who are learning skills like cash handling, pricing, stocking and customer service. The money earned from retail sales is invested back into programs and services at Opportunity Village. Programs like:
- P.R.I.D.E.: Respite services for our most medically-fragile individuals, many of whom require around-the-clock care.
- Enable: Day habilitation programming with a focus on community volunteerism and life skills enrichment.
- Fine and Performing Arts: Individuals explore and hone their creative talents, including silk scarves in the art studio, tap and jazz dance, and Orff method in the music room.
- Job Discovery Program: Partnership with the CCSD giving special education students the ability to train in a variety of fields and uncover their career passions.
- Pathway to Work: Program designed to prepare individuals for community-based employment through on-the-job training.
- NOVA: Based on the Creative Abundance model, NOVA helps individuals unleash their creativity via mentorship.
Every dollar spent at the Opportunity Village Thrift Store makes a difference by being invested back into the individuals we serve. This includes contributing to the wages of 2,113 adults with disabilities employed by Opportunity Village, whether working on employment contracts throughout Southern Nevada or at one of our five campuses. And, as a primarily self-funded not-for-profit, Opportunity Village saves Nevada taxpayers $37.4 million annually.
More From The Blog
NAB Webinar - ROI, Attribution, and Justifying your Trade Show Spend with special guest, Lynn Elliott, Digital Marketing & Product...
You already know that NAB Show is the place to be for those involved in media, entertainment, and technology.
Learn how to become a part of this vibrant and growing community.
Submit your Directory Listing, make Exhibit Space payments, announce new products and more.
Rules and Regulations
Get the information you need to make the most of the event.